Thursday, March 10, 2011



This is our last night in China and I have mixed feelings. I am thrilled to be heading home to my family. But, I am sad for my son and all of his connections and heritage that he leaves behind. I hope that someday he will choose to return and find his foster family. He will have the album of pictures to help him reconnect with them.

We enjoyed a leisurely day with several walks to playgrounds. The parks are full of older Chinese people doing dance moves and exercises. The adults also play a game where they try to keep a small feathered object up in the air by hitting it with their feet and hands. Some of the equipment that the children played on was for adults to exercise. There was a small walking or running track on the boulevard. The Chinese people have many healthy, daily routines.
Timmy has enjoyed playing with a 10 year old girl named Jia Jia (pictured above). Her family is from Alaska and they adopted her from China two years ago. Now, they were returning for an 8 year old brother. The two children communicate in Mandarin and Timmy has been able to join into their conversations. He will miss his new friends when we part tomorrow in Beijing.

Our long journey home begins with a 4+ hour flight to Beijing. Then, we have a four hour layover and then on to Chicago. Interestingly, I will need to take my luggage through customs in Chicago and then pass it back for the last leg to Philadelphia. All together, with the time change, we will be in transit for about 28 hours. Then, home sweet home!!!

3 comments:

  1. Linda, I can't begin to describe how wonderful, amazing, and powerful your reports have been! They have brought back many memories, believe me. What a journey. My love for Timmy grows every day, and I commend you for your wise and sensitive mothering. It will indeed be good to arrive back home. I welcome and bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be in transit as I type this, so when you get this, you'll be HOME (hopefully). WELCOME HOME!

    ReplyDelete