Saturday, September 3, 2011

Yes! I am their mother!

Last week I took the boys to the library for library cards. The woman behind the counter asked two times if I was their mother. What did she think? I was babysitting? Or found two random toddlers on the sidewalk and brought them into the library?
Another adoption related experience has happened a number of times. The boys, particularly Jake, will wander just far enough ahead of us that concerned adults will look frantically around for his parents. Not seeing other African-Americans they assume he is lost. Meanwhile, we are right nearby. We have to speak up and say, "He is our son." for them to stop looking around for his parents.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes it takes a little bit to see the family resemblance. If they just notice how Jim acts, they then see Jake ;-)

    Sorry, I can't speak for Timmy but from the posts and his demeanor in the pix, I would say he takes after his mama.

    Blessings for you and yours Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    Jake has Jim's smile, and Timmy has yours. That's enough for me! :)

    Love, Barb s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may sound strange, but my 15 y.o. daughter thinks it's funny to carry Markos around and watch how people react...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many people have run up to Mamush and asked, "Are you lost? Where are your parents?" -when we are just a few feet behind him. I'm not sure why I find this so annoying as I realize they don't know and are only trying to help, but it's getting old...

    Anyway~ Linda, your boys are just darling! I love following your blog.

    ReplyDelete