Saturday, November 13, 2010

Timmy

Timmy will soon know about us as our package with photos should arrive in China soon. I can only imagine how his brain will process the idea. Meanwhile, Jake is excited and wants to know why his brother isn't here yet. The other night, as I was rocking Jake to sleep, he looked over at the toddler bed and said, "That's Timmy's bed." Sometimes I hear him talking about his brother in his childish conversations to himself.

The idea of a second child brings up new worries about how Jake will transition. He is LOVING the full attention of both of his parents. Will he be jealous of the time we will need to give to Timmy? How will he react to my long trip to China?
I've thought of some ways to help him to understand that I will be back. Of course, we will communicate when we can, but also I thought a visible countdown might help. Something like an count-down calendar or a paper chain with messages to him from me.

It is wonderful to watch Jake's excitement and love for his brother as we all grow our hearts to include this special little boy.

3 comments:

  1. He's a beautiful little boy, Linda! Jake will definitely have a big adjustment (as will you guys and Timmy) but the end result will be so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a cutie!! Skype is awesome and free!! When you are away it is soooo sooo helpful with the kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations....what a beautiful boy. I understand your concerns about the inevitable adjustment for everyone. While we were away in Ethiopia I left messages in a large weekly pill box for our 3 boys. Some days they had a hint for a treasure hunt. It really helped them during that time I was away.

    ReplyDelete